Badia a Coltibuono
Updated: Jul 5, 2022
The history of this legendary estate dates back to 1051 when the Vallombrosa order of monks (a Tuscan reform of the Benedictines), most likely planted the first grapes in the region.
Located in Gaiole in Chianti, the abbey or ’Badia’ is still the beating heart of this magnificent wine and agriculture estate: ‘Coltibuono’ means ‘good harvest’ which seems more appropriate than ever today.
In 1810 when Tuscany was under the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte, the monks were forced to leave and the monastery was secularised. The estate was first sold by lottery and then in 1846, was purchased by Guido Giuntini, a Florentine banker and ancestor of the current owners.
The estate thrived under the direction of Piero Stucchi Prinetti, noted for the quality of its varied produce.