Comparing wines from different denominations and making a list in order of preference is remarkable difficult and unnecessary…unless you are selling magazines or have a paying subscriber membership...I have neither!
In true wine critic tradition I have decided to continue making a list of the wines I most enjoyed during this past year.
My list is not based on price, denomination or points given… it is based on WOW factor!
1) Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino “Cerretalto” DOCG 2016
2) La Cerbaiola Brunello di Montalcino “Salvioni” DOCG 2006
3) Tenuta dell’Ornellaia “Ornellaia”Bolgheri IGT 2019
4) Castello di AMA “L’ Apparita” Toscana IGT 2019
5) Dom Pérignon 2008
6) Tenuta San Guido “Sassicaia” Bolgheri DOC 2019
7) Chateau d’ Yquem 2008
8) Montecalvi “San Piero” Toscana IGT 2016
9) Villa Le Corti “FICO” Toscana IGT 2020
10) Gagliole “Gagliole” Toscana IGT 2019
11) Le Guaite di Noemi “Amarone” Valpolicella DOC 2010
12) Poggio Bertaio “Apo” Umbria IGP 2006
13) La Montanina “Piallungo” Toscana IGT 2021
N.B. 13 wines are listed as it is my favourite number!
Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto 2016
Bright ruby red in colour with a translucent purple hew. Wild forest berries, underbrush, black truffle, faint humus. Dark powdered spice and orange peel zest. Youthful. Showing complexity beyond its age, brings together all the qualities of this vintage. Such poise, gives layers of pleasure. Ultra refined. Expands in all directions on the mid palate. Has the textural depth of the Mariana Trench. Defines balance and elegance. Shows too many dimensions to list. The finish is immortal.
Points 100 TW
I truly believe that Giacomo Neri has made a wine (currently still a baby) that given time, will be hailed as one of the greatest Brunello ever bottled. Its virtuoso elegance is outstanding!
Two other BdMs are close to matching Cerretalto 2016: Case Basse by Gianfranco Soldera Riserva 1990 and Il Marroneto Madonna Delle Grazie 2016 by Alessandro Mori.
My thanks to all the winemakers for their expertise and generosity, resulting in yet another outstanding reviewing year.
I would also like to thank my readers: your continued support is invaluable and greatly appreciated.